Spending summer in the car? Here are some tips from the EPA to get the best possible mileage from your vehicle.
- Rapid acceleration and braking can reduce your gas mileage by 33 percent.
- Follow the speed limit; each five miles per hour over the limit reduces fuel economy.
- Avoid excess idling; turn off the car when waiting.
- Use cruise control and overdrive gears for highway driving.
Keep your car in good condition
- Keep your engine tuned.
- Check your tire pressure once a week and keep tires properly inflated.
- Use the grade of motor oil recommended by your car's manufacturer.
- Check your gas cap; gas can vaporize if it doesn't fit tightly.
- Remove excess weight - don't keep unnecessary or heavy items in your car.
- Items on the roof rack add aerodynamic drag, reducing fuel economy.
Plan your trips
- Stagger your work hours to avoid rush hour.
- Carpool or use public transit.
- Combine trips and plan an efficient route.