UNMC Grants - A creative way to train more nurse leadersThe College of Nursing recently was awarded a three-year, $812,000 grant to create a new master's degree specialty in executive nurse leadership.
The grant is funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Health Resources and Services Administration.
The program, called the Nurse Leader Executive Advanced Development (LEAD), will be delivered as an online program for Nebraska nurses working in rural settings, including:
- Nursing homes;
- Acute care facilities; and
- long term care facilities.
The college looks to recruit 40 to 60 students in the next three years.
Nurses can access the program in one of three ways:
- An accelerated registered nurse to master's degree in nursing program;
- A traditional bachelor's in nursing degree to master's degree in nursing program; or
- A post-master's certificate.
Applications for fall 2011 programs are due Feb. 1.