'Olympic walk' starts today -- Ceremony at 11:30 a.m.The "UNMC Walks to the Olympics" opening ceremony starts at 11:30 a.m. in the Student Plaza Ice Rink area.
The ceremony will feature comments and a kick-off lap around the east campus academic area.
If it's raining at 11:30, the ceremony will be held in the Center for Healthy Living.
|The UNMC Walks to the Olympics challenge starts today at 11:30 a.m. in the Ruth and Bill Scott Student Plaza.|
Pedometers will be on sale today starting at 10:30 a.m. in the Student Plaza at the picnic tables just south of the ice rink area.
You also can purchase pedometers in the Center for Healthy Living. Pedometers cost $10. Employees can only purchase two pedometers each.
About the challenge
The "UNMC Walks to the Olympics" challenge starts Friday and runs through July 27 -- the first day of the London Olympic Games.
As part of the challenge, employees will form teams and combine efforts to cover 4,300 miles -- the distance between Omaha and London.
Teams are limited to 20 participants. Download a team registration form or call the Center for Healthy Living front desk at 402-559-5254 to have one emailed, faxed or routed to you through inter-campus mail.
Send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, via fax at 402- 559-9609 or by campus courier to the Center for Healthy Living, ZIP 5530.
Logbooks, tracking sheets and conversion charts
Free log book brochures to help you track steps will be available at the ceremony or you could use this downloadable tracking sheet.
For those who like other forms of exercise besides walking, here's a conversion chart that shows how many steps you can count for other activities.
Weekend walking opportunities
5K for Fertility
- When: Registration at 9 a.m. Race starts at 9:30 a.m.
- Where: Lake Zorinsky Park, Shelter No. 6 (168th Street entrance).
- Cost: $15 before the race. $20 on the day of the race.
- What: 2B Fertile organizes the event to raise money and awareness about infertility. See more online.
- When: Registration at 9 a.m. Walk begins at 10 a.m.
- Where: Mahoney State Park
- Cost: Donation, plus $5 parking fee.
- What: The event is hosted by the Lymphoma Research Foundation and supports free patient services and research grants.