Bill Nye to highlight inaugural Nebraska Science FestivalTickets available Jan. 28 for April 12 event
The festival runs April 12-14 and features science- and technology-related activities across the Omaha area, all with the goal of making science accessible, interactive, relevant and fun for kids and adults alike.
On April 12, Nye will present at Joslyn Museum's Witherspoon Concert Hall. Nye's 7:30 p.m. presentation is free to the public (but requires a reserved ticket) and is suitable for ages 12 and older.
Tickets for the general admission seating will be released Monday, Jan. 28 at noon on a first-come, first-served basis. To reserve your tickets (a maximum of two per person), call 402-559-9990. Although the presentation is free, tickets are required for admittance when doors open April 12 at 7 p.m.
A mechanical engineer, author, comedian and inventor, Nye's mission is to help foster a scientifically literate society, to help people everywhere understand and appreciate the science that makes our world work.
Free festival programs and activities will take place April 12-14 in the Omaha area. Among the highlights:
- A free Student Expo on April 12 at The Durham Museum that features an array of interactive, hands-on science-related booths for elementary-aged youths.
- A free Public Expo on April 13 at The Durham Museum that features an array of interactive, hands-on science-related booths and presentations.
- Dancing Scientist Jeffrey Vinokur will combine science and dance into a high-energy performance on April 12 & 13 at The Durham Museum.
- CAPOW, the University of Nebraska at Omaha's chemistry and physics show, will entertain children on April 12 & 13 at The Durham Museum.
- Additional sites in and around Omaha will provide science-related activities during the Festival weekend. Including: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, Fontenelle Forest, Lauritzen Gardens, Hot Shops Art Center, City Sprouts Community Garden, Joslyn Art Museum and The Strategic Air and Space Museum.
Presented by the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the Nebraska Science Festival brings together various science-related Nebraska organizations interested in the advancement of science literacy. Other sponsors include The Nebraska Coalition for Lifesaving Cures and media sponsors KETV and The Reader.
For more information, visit: www.nescifest.com.