UNMC News

Montgomery Gentry to perform at 2014 Cattlemen's Ball of Nebraska

Fundraising event for cancer research set for June 6-7 in Nebraska Panhandle

BANNER COUNTY, NEB. – The country music duo Montgomery Gentry will headline the entertainment at the 2014 Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska, which will be held June 6-7 at Hoot Owl Ranch, near Harrisburg, in Banner County in the Nebraska Panhandle. 

The duo, which includes Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry, has had 14 Top 10 singles, including five No. 1 hits – “Something to be Proud of,” “If You Ever Stop Loving Me,” “Lucky Man,” “Back When I Knew It All” and “Roll With Me.”

Even though Montgomery Gentry has sold millions of albums, performed at dozens of sold out shows, and won scores of awards and accolades, the duo remains in touch with its working class roots and is able to empathize with the common man.

“We are blue collar workers and we lived the songs that we sing,” Gentry said.  “People can associate themselves with our songs.”

In 2010, Montgomery Gentry received the Humanitarian Award from the Academy of Country Music for being active participants in many charitable organizations and for devoting their time and energy into making the needs of others a priority.

The Montgomery Gentry concert will be held on June 7 following the evening dinner for all ball attendees. A dance following the concert will conclude this year’s ball. 

The Cattlemen’s Ball is hosted annually by a different Nebraska family involved in the beef industry. Its mission is to raise money for cancer research, while showcasing rural Nebraska and promoting beef as part of a healthy diet. Since it began in 1998, the Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska has raised more than $9.73 million. The goal for the 2014 event is to raise $2.5 million for cancer research and local medical causes. 

As in past years, 90 percent of the proceeds will go to the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center at the University of Nebraska Medical Center with the remaining 10 percent earmarked toward regional medical organizations.

Host families for this year’s event will be Kenny and Misty Stauffer along with the ranch owners Jeff and Kathy May.  Co-chairs are Jeff Heldt and Monty Stoddard. The theme for the event will be “Corral a Cure for Cancer.”

The two-day celebration is open to the public and will include both silent and live auctions, a style show, golf tournament and art show.

A Trail Boss ticket for both days of the event costs $350 and includes a Friday social, private champagne reception and brunch on Saturday, plus preferred seating for the Saturday evening dinner and concert. A $75 Top Hand ticket provides admission for all events after 11 a.m. on Saturday and includes dinner, dance and the concert. 

Tickets are on sale now at http://cattlemensball.com/ or by calling (308) 235-2289.

Organizers are in need of 600 volunteers for the event. Those interested in assisting should call Kenny Stauffer at (308) 641-0429 or email cattlemensballne2014@gmail.com.

The Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska, Inc. is established to promote beef in a healthy diet, to showcase rural Nebraska and to raise money for health care research. For more information, visit www.cattlemensball.com.

The Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center is a National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated cancer center -- a distinction held by only 68 centers in the country. It is the only NCI-designated center in the state of Nebraska. The Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center is also one of the 13 founding members of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), an alliance of the world’s leading cancer centers. This recognition means the most current and innovative treatment options are available to cancer center patients through the integration of cutting-edge research into state-of-the-art care. Cancer center physicians and scientists work together to quickly translate discoveries made in the laboratory into innovative treatments for the patient.

Through world-class research and patient care, UNMC generates breakthroughs that make life better for people throughout Nebraska and beyond. Its education programs train more health professionals than any other institution in the state. Learn more at unmc.edu and follow us on social media.

Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Pinterest  |  YouTube

 

 

Contact

Tom O'Connor
UNMC Public Relations
(402) 559-4690 (office)
(402) 650-7063 (cell)
toconnor@unmc.edu

Kenny Stauffer
Cattlemen's Ball of Nebraska
(308) 641-0429
(308) 641-0429
cattlemensballne2014@gmail.com