Former Blair resident named 'Student of the Month' for UNMC College of MedicineRecognized for her community work
Jennifer Wittry, a third-year student in the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine, was profiled as “Student of the Month” in the May edition of InterCOM, the monthly newsletter for the College of Medicine.
A 2004 graduate of Blair High School and a 2008 graduate of the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Wittry is the daughter of Robert and Victoria Wittry of Blair. Both her parents are educators. Robert is a shop teacher for Yutan Public Schools, while Victoria is a speech pathologist for Blair Community Schools.
Each month, UNMC highlights one medical student as the “Student of the Month.” Students are featured for their participation in activities outside of medical school and for making a difference in the community. The goal is to recognize students for what they are doing and to encourage other students to get involved in the community.
Here is this month’s profile on Wittry.
College of Medicine Student of the Month – Jennifer Wittry, third-year student
Born: Butte, Neb., and grew up in Blair, Neb.
Education: Blair High School; University of Nebraska at Omaha (majored in psychology).
- SHARING Clinics representative for the Psychiatry Interest Group.
- Implementing the Helping Hands grant, which was awarded to aid in the addition of psychiatry services to the SHARING Clinics.
- Present to undergraduate students interested in mental health about opportunities in the field.
- Cooking with my husband
- Speaking French with my sister
- Spending time with my family
- I belong to an organization called PEO that works to provide scholarships to women for their education. I have been able to help high school grads get scholarships for college, mothers returning to school get grants for continuing education, and young women get loans to finish their degrees.
- I was fortunate to have the opportunity to go on a mission trip to south India over spring break, where I was able to spend time at a local hospital and work with the physicians to experience the cultural similarities and differences in the way that medicine is practiced.
Through world-class research and patient care, UNMC generates breakthroughs that make life better for people throughout Nebraska and beyond. Its education programs train more health professionals than any other institution in the state. Learn more at unmc.edu and follow us on social media.
UNMC Public Relations
(402) 559-4690 (office)
(402) 650-7063 (cell)