|The Truhlsen Eye Institute is more than three times larger than the old eye clinic.|
The first patients are scheduled to be seen in the new facility on April 29. Staff will move into the building the week of April 22-26. No patients will be seen in the old eye clinic on April 24-26.
The grand opening celebration for the Truhlsen Eye Institute will be May 22 at 10:30 a.m.
Here are some fast facts on the Truhlsen Eye Institute:
- At 54,500 square feet, the institute is more than three times larger than the old eye clinic, which is 16,300 square feet.
- Three entrances:
- Main patient entrance - first floor, south side of building
- Loading dock entrance - second floor, east side of building
- Campus patient/employee entrance - third floor, north side of building
- Three floors:
- First floor - optical shop, staff lounge, general optometry clinic, cornea/refractive clinic;
- Second floor - diagnostics, glaucoma/retina clinic, pediatric clinic, clinical research;
- Third floor - faculty and staff offices, library, meeting rooms, staff lounge, residents laboratory, residents lounge and work area, 78-seat auditorium that can be used for teaching, teleconferencing, seminars.
- The atrium extends to all three floors.
- It will be a certified LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) facility.
- 49 exam rooms (called lanes); to facilitate work flow, lanes are grouped in pods of five in the larger clinics.
- 140 parking stalls for patients and employees on the south side of the building.
- Construction of the building is scheduled for completion on April 1.
- Interior atrium and exterior accents of the building features a pink limestone from the Mississippi River Valley in Minnesota.
- Landscaping will be done in May prior to the grand opening event on May 22.
Congratulations to the faculty, house officers and staff of the Ophthalmology Department. A long time dream is finally realized!