McGoogan Library director to retire June 30
|Nancy Woelfl, Ph.D.|
- They don't wear crepe-soled shoes;
- They don't all say "SHHHHHH!!!"; and
- They aren't quiet.
In fact, in 26 years as the director of the McGoogan Library at UNMC, Dr. Woelfl has made a lot of noise.
On June 30, Dr. Woelfl will retire as the library's director. She can still remember when she arrived on campus in 1986 to interview for the job.
"I remember looking around and already detecting that strong sense of purpose in everyone I talked to," she said.
In her time at UNMC, Dr. Woelfl has shown a sense of purpose of her own.
"Dr. Woelfl has overseen a massive expansion of the materials and resources available to academic faculty, staff, students and Nebraska residents," said Dele Davies, M.D., vice chancellor for academic affairs and dean of graduate studies.
Among her many accomplishments, Dr. Woelfl:
- Introduced the first systematic planning process for library information services at UNMC;
- Oversaw an eight-fold expansion of the size of the library endowment;
- Expanded the quantity and quality of digital journals, books and other materials available while simultaneously contracting the printed volumes and saving valuable space in the process; and
- Led the extensive planning and budgeting process for the 1999-2000 renovation of the library floors.
"Nancy is especially proud of the high quality of service that students, faculty and staff have come to expect form her dedicated library staff," Dr. Davies said.
Dr. Woelfl, who will spend her retirement traveling with her husband, John, said one of the best things about her career has been watching UNMC grow and evolve.
Another is the many friendships she developed with the medical students who passed through the library. As one of the librarians who introduce first-year students to the library, Woelfl met many students during their first day on campus.
"I have a number of close friends that I met the first day they were here as students," she said. "I've seen them become outstanding physicians, compassionate and caring - they really care about making the world a better place."
Dr. Woelfl has received various honors and awards including the UNMC Environmental Service Staff-Creating a Positive Workplace Award, UNMC Faculty Senate-Honorary Senator Status Award, Medical Library Association, Midcontinental Chapter-Outstanding Achievement Award and the Hetzner Award for Excellence in Academic Health Librarianship.
She has served as the UNMC Faculty Senate Parliamentarian since 1987.
Nancy it has been great working with you over the years. You will be missed. Enjoy retirement.
Nancy, you've done a wonderful job at the library. We are really going to miss you. Celebrate your accomplishments and enjoy your retirement and travels.
I have been to many libraries, but none of them are as well-run, well-appointed, and service-oriented as McGoogan. Thank you Nancy, for your great leadership! Hugh Stoddard Emory University SOM
Thank you Nancy for all of your good work at UNMC. Best wishes to you in the years ahead!
All the best to you and John in retirement. You certainly deserve it for a job well done and with lots of class! Susan Smith, Faculty/Employee Assistance Program
Job well done, Nancy. I have no doubt that Dr. McGoogan would be proud. All the best to you and John in retirement -- you deserve it!
This is a wonderful article for a wonderful lady. Lori J. Cervantes University Optical
Nancy, Have a great retirement. We will miss you so much. Steve Dixon and the Comparative Medicine Staff.
The UNMC community owes you a big debt of gratitude for all that you have done for us, Nancy. Few of us can say that they have contributed more to the mission than you. Enjoy your much-deserved time traveling with John and good luck getting the house in Ontario remodeled. We will miss you!
Thanks Nancy for your contributions and your delightful smile!
Search committee set
The UNMC search committee includes:
- Stephen Bonasera, M.D., Ph.D., College of Medicine, chair;
- John Adams, Ph.D., College of Public Health;
- Ann Berger, Ph.D., College of Nursing;
- Denise Britigan, Ph.D., College of Public Health and member of the library advisory committee;
- William Chaney, Ph.D., professor of biochemistry, educator and researcher;
- Karen Honeycutt, School of Allied Health Professions and member of the library advisory committee;
- Marie Reidelbach, representing library faculty and staff;
- Xu Luo, Ph.D., Eppley Institute, educator and researcher;
- Gary Yee, Pharm.D., College of Pharmacy;
- Luis Marky, Ph.D., College of Pharmacy, representing UNMC Faculty Senate;
- Duy Ha, M.D.-Ph.D. student, representing UNMC Student Senate; and
- Tony Yonkers, M.D., College of Medicine, representing Friends of the Library.