UNMC LiveGreen - A look back at Earth Week
See photos of the week's activities.
Some highlights include:
- The planting of a new October glory red maple tree, donated by SunCo Grounds Management, at the intersection of 41st and Harney streets. SunCo also donated 20 black oak trees grown from acorns at Rosenblatt Stadium. LiveGreen is tracking the trees and will give periodic updates.
- 160 employees/students attended the sustainable landscaping Lunch and Learn.
- 165 pairs of used eyeglasses were collected and donated to the UNMC ophthalmology department to be given to people in need.
- 105 pounds of single-use alkaline batteries were collected to be recycled.
- 1,845 pounds of paper were collected for shredding/recycling by Shredding Solutions.
- 6,530 pounds of electronics were collected/recycled:
- The total weight of 8,480 pounds of paper/electronics/batteries is equivalent to the weight of 3.5 average-size male giraffes!
- By recycling 8,480 pounds of paper, electronics and batteries, UNMC/TNMC employees and students are preventing approximately 11 metric tons of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. This is equivalent to the emissions associated with consuming 1,230 gallons of gas.
- More than 300 reusable bags were donated by Fareway, Hy-Vee, Trader Joe's, ALDI, Bakers and the National Safety Council of Nebraska for distribution at the events.