He didn't expect to receive one.
Dr. Maurer was presented with an Honorary Scientist Laureate Award at the close of the ceremony by Jennifer Larsen, M.D., vice chancellor for research. The award, Dr. Larsen said, was to commemorate the growth in research activities at UNMC under Dr. Maurer's leadership.
"Dr. Maurer has made it very clear, from when he became chancellor to now, how important research and the growth of research is to UNMC's national stature," Dr. Larsen said. "It is in part because of his leadership and continued emphasis on research that we are where we are today."
Surinder Batra, Ph.D., professor and chairman, department of biochemistry and molecular biology, was named UNMC's seventh Scientist Laureate, the highest honor UNMC bestows to researchers.
Other researchers honored at Tuesday's ceremony included:
- Patricia Hageman, Ph.D., School of Allied Health Professions
- Gleb Haynatzki, Ph.D., College of Public Health
- Terry Huang, Ph.D , College of Public Health
- Xu Luo, Ph.D., Eppley Institute
- Amarnath Natarajan, Ph.D., Eppley Institute
- Bunny Pozehl, Ph.D., College of Nursing
- Risto Rautiainen, Ph.D., College of Public Health
- Mark Rupp, M.D., College of Medicine
- Mohammad Siahpush, Ph.D., College of Public Health
- Dong Wang, Ph.D., College of Pharmacy
- Mark Carlson, M.D., College of Medicine
- Julia Houfek, Ph.D., College of Nursing
- Ashish Joshi, M.D., Ph.D., College of Public Health
- Benita McVicker, Ph.D., College of Medicine
- Jim Stimpson, Ph.D., College of Public Health
Congratulations and wishing the best to all dignitaries. Proud to be a UNMC student. I am honored to have an opportunity work and learn from some the award winners (faculty-College of Public).