UNMC for the record
Registration is now open for the 2013 CityMatCH Conference "Nothing But the Best: Quality and Innovation in Urban MCH (Maternal Child Health)," which takes place in Savannah, Ga., from Sept. 23-25. CityMatCH, the national organization of Urban Maternal Child Health leaders, is located within the UNMC Department of Pediatrics. Please visit the CityMatCH website for registration information or contact Denise Pecha at 402-552-9500.
Seven researchers in the UNMC Department of Internal Medicine were recognized in June for exceptional achievements in research during the annual Research Awards Grand Rounds presentation. The recipients included:
|Mark Rupp, M.D.|
- Mark Rupp, M.D., professor, division of infectious diseases, received the Career Investigator Award. His research focus is in the area of infection control and Staphylococcus aureus;
- Benita McVicker, Ph.D., assistant professor, division of gastroenterology and hepatology, received the Basic Science Research Award. Her primary area of research interest is in the mechanisms of alcoholic liver injury;
- Kathryn Lazure, M.D., house officer V, gastroenterology, received the Fellowship Research Award. She has initiated research projects in gastroenterology, both asa resident and a fellow;
- Adam Wells, M.D., house officer III, received the Resident Research Award, given for demonstrated excellence in a specific research project;
- Michael Duryee, research coordinator, division of rheumatology and immunology, received the inaugural Daughton Award, given to a non-faculty employee for exemplary professional activities;
- Marshall Davis, M3,received a Student Research Award; and
- Matthew Varon, M3,received a Student Research Award. The awards are given for initiative and exemplary work on research projects.
UNMC College of Nursing students participated in the Refugee Day at Omaha Benson High School last week. Students and members of Sigma Theta Tau International Gamma Pi at Large Chapter financially supported the students' health fair booths through a service grant.