- Name: R. Tanner Hagelstrom, Ph.D.
- Hometown: Denver
- New title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor and associate director of the Human Genetics Laboratory
Clinical genetic diagnostics
- Clinical cytogenetics/molecular genetics fellowship, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Translational Genomics Research Institute, Phoenix
- American College of Medical Genetics
How I fell in love with genetics:
I was always torn between whether I wanted to enter into business or a science-based field. I decided that science was more my calling, so I entered graduate school. During this time, I came across the field of clinical genetic diagnostics and found the perfect combination of science and business. I love the opportunity to provide cutting-edge diagnostics to improve patients' lives while developing a sustainable business model for my laboratory.
Three things you don't know about me:
- I'm from Colorado, so naturally I don't ski.
- I have a hugely entrepreneurial spirit.
- I'm a caffeine addict but do not drink coffee.
Welcome to the lab Tanner!!