Following the success of last year's "UNMC Walks to the Olympics" fitness challenge, the campus will be engaging in another activity this fall.
But this time, the 2013 WalkingWorks Corporate Challenge will pit UNMC as a whole against other companies and organizations throughout the state.
From Sept. 1 to Oct. 26, UNMC participants will log their minutes of activity (in at least 10-minute blocks) -- not only walking, but biking, running, Pilates or any healthy activity -- in the challenge database.
The database will track minutes exercised and convert them to "miles" for the purposes of tracking a participant's progress and team totals. At the end of the challenge, teams will be scored based on the total time spent engaging in physical activity.
For more information about the WalkingWorks Challenge, click here.
"The Walk to the Olympics was one of the most successful campuswide fitness events we've held," said Peter Pellerito, who will be team captain for UNMC. "We hope that UNMC faculty, students and staff will find the WalkingWorks Challenge just as much fun.
"The fact that the challenge tracks any kind of physical activity that lasts for 10 minutes -- walking, running, biking, swimming, pushing the mower, weeding the garden and even vacuuming - makes it more versatile and, hopefully, a more accessible program for a wider portion of the UNMC community," he said.
To register for the challenge, follow simple steps below:
- Go to the WalkingWorks website and click on the "Sign Up" link.
- A drop-down menu will appear with a list of plan names. Highlight "Nebraska, Blue Cross and Blue Shield"
- Then select the following:
- Group: WELCOM and BCBSNE
- Program: 2013 Group A WalkingWorks Corporate Challenge
- Team: University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Continuing on the same screen, fill out the registration form by typing your name, email address, password, age group, participation level and work zip code (this is the five-digit postal zip code, not the campus zip code).
- Click "Submit."
- Review and confirm your registration information.
- Login using your email address and newly created password.
Once you sign up, you'll receive weekly e-mail reminders and tips, and you'll be able to track your personal and team progress on the website.
I might be the only one with this assumption, but in case I am not - I assumed the "work zip code" was the four digit on campus zip. But, it is not. To register, you need to use the five digit postal code. For example, if your mailing zip is 68198-5230, enter 68198 only. Do not enter the whole thing (68198-5230) or just the on campus zip (5230).