In UNMC Today's Student Spotlight, we get to know some of these students, who will become tomorrow's health care professionals. Today we meet:
- Name: Zachary Bailey
- Hometown: Cincinnati
- Program/Year: College of Medicine/first year
List three songs on your playlist.
- "Charlie Brown," by Coldplay
- "Runaway," by Mat Kearney
- "Wake Me Up," by Avicii
What sparked your interest in medicine?
I have always been interested in science, and as a reckless kid with asthma I spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital. Then, during high school, I tore my meniscus in my knee twice and broke my nose, all of which required surgery. The exposure I had in the medical field throughout my upbringing allowed me to meet a lot of great people that made a positive impact on my life. I am drawn to medicine because it gives me the opportunity to incorporate my interest in science, while having the chance to meet a variety of people and impact their lives the way doctors in the past have impacted mine.
Your favorite study snack is:
Your favorite app is:
Three things people may not know about you:
- I love to travel. I have been to more than 30 states and 12 countries. Someday I would like to have the opportunity to travel the world as a part of a medical mission team.
- I enjoy cooking during my free time.
- I am recently engaged to be married in December.
Congratulations Zach! Love you!
Congrats on your up-coming wedding! I'm sure your wife-to-be will enjoy your cooking talents.
Zach worked in our lab this past summer and was an invaluable asset to our research. He will be a great physician!