Student spotlight - Meet Zachary BaileyEducation is one of the four pillars of UNMC's mission, and our students are the lifeblood of that aspect of campus life.
In UNMC Today's Student Spotlight, we get to know some of these students, who will become tomorrow's health care professionals. Today we meet:
- Name: Zachary Bailey
- Hometown: Cincinnati
- Program/Year: College of Medicine/first year
List three songs on your playlist.
- "Charlie Brown," by Coldplay
- "Runaway," by Mat Kearney
- "Wake Me Up," by Avicii
What sparked your interest in medicine?
I have always been interested in science, and as a reckless kid with asthma I spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital. Then, during high school, I tore my meniscus in my knee twice and broke my nose, all of which required surgery. The exposure I had in the medical field throughout my upbringing allowed me to meet a lot of great people that made a positive impact on my life. I am drawn to medicine because it gives me the opportunity to incorporate my interest in science, while having the chance to meet a variety of people and impact their lives the way doctors in the past have impacted mine.
Your favorite study snack is:
Your favorite app is:
Three things people may not know about you:
- I love to travel. I have been to more than 30 states and 12 countries. Someday I would like to have the opportunity to travel the world as a part of a medical mission team.
- I enjoy cooking during my free time.
- I am recently engaged to be married in December.
Congratulations Zach! Love you!
Congrats on your up-coming wedding! I'm sure your wife-to-be will enjoy your cooking talents.
Zach worked in our lab this past summer and was an invaluable asset to our research. He will be a great physician!