- Name: Andrea Joy Williams
- Hometown: Des Moines, Iowa
- No. of years at UNMC: Four and a half years
Tell us a bit about what you do here at UNMC.
I am a laboratory specialist at The Nebraska Public Health Laboratory. I perform salmonella serotyping and influenza confirmatory testing on human clinical specimens collected in the state of Nebraska. I also spend the summers testing "skeeters" from counties throughout Nebraska for West Nile virus and perform pulsed field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) on salmonella, shiga toxin-positive Escherichia coli, and Listeria isolates to help monitor for foodborne outbreaks.
"Being a trusted resource" is one of UNMC's brand values. Can you tell us of a co-worker or department which is a trusted resource for you at UNMC?
Peter Iwen, Ph.D., director of the Nebraska Public Health Laboratory, is a trusted resource I bug almost every day to ask questions or seek advice on how to proceed with certain things. He always has a good answer! Truthfully, all of my co-workers are my trusted resources. Since we all come from different backgrounds, I learn a lot from them on a daily basis. We take turns training each other!
What is your favorite fall activity?
Taking my children to the pumpkin patch, decorating pumpkins, and playing in all the leaves!
List three things people may not know about you.
- I am an independent designer with Origami Owl, a direct sales company that sells customizable jewelry. In October, all of my earnings will be donated to the Open Door Mission Women and Family Crisis Center in Omaha, which supports families fleeing from domestic violence. If you would like to support this cause, email me here.
- I love plants. My house has about 30 houseplants but I specifically collect Hoya plants.
- I am blessed with three children. My oldest is my husband, Stetson Williams, who always keeps life entertaining! We have a 1-year-old boy and 3-year-old girl who keep our lives fun and busy!
I remember you and Stetson when you first came to UNMC. It has been great knowing you guys! Continued success to you both! Teresa Fritz