In UNMC Today's Student Spotlight, we get to know some of these students, who will become tomorrow's health care professionals. Today we meet:.
- Name: Katie Anderson
- Hometown: West Point, Neb. (formerly Velva, N.D.)
- Program/Year: College of Nursing, Northern Division/first year
List three songs on your playlist.
- "Dive," by Stephen Curtis Chapman.
- "Famous in a Small Town," by Miranda Lambert.
- "Don't Stop Believin'," by Journey.
What sparked your interest in nursing?
I first became interested in nursing when my grandmother was diagnosed with amyloidosis more than 20 years ago. Not much was known about the disease at that point in time, so she spent a great deal of her life in and out of hospitals, so they could learn from her. I became fascinated with the human body and found that the nurses were the face of consistency, compassion and caring -- from the hospital to hospice. From then on, the health care field was my passion.
Your favorite study snack is:
Your favorite app is:
Three things people may not know about you:
- I am a semi-professional baker. I love to make and decorate cakes and cupcakes. It is a great way for me to relieve stress and make people smile!
- I currently reside with my husband, Doug, on his family farm with our dog Freckles (a bassador) and our 19 farm cats -- and yes, they all have names! We are the fourth generation of his family to live in our home, and we absolutely love country life!
- I have an addiction to travelling -- just this past year I added Washington, D.C., Charleston, S.C., and San Diego to the list of places to which I have ventured.