|Matt Holt is pictured with a calving glacier as the sun sets off the coast of Greenland.|
In UNMC Today's Student Spotlight, we get to know some of these students, who will become tomorrow's health care professionals.
Today we meet:
- Name: Matthew Holt
- Hometown: Hastings, Neb.
- Program/Year: College of Public Health, second year, M.P.H in Health Policy
What sparked your interest in public health?
I got my EMT-B (emergency medical technician-basic) in order to work on ski patrol and eventually went on to get my paramedic degree. My time spent as a medic working in an ER led me to think I could make a bigger impact working upstream and preventing a large number of the injuries that required EMS. I decided to get my master's in order to position myself to work in prevention and EMS restructuring.
List three songs on your playlist.
- "Redemption Song," by Bob Marley
- "Stairway to Heaven," by Led Zeppelin
- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," by the Beatles
Your favorite study snack is:
Your favorite app is:
During football season, it is my fantasy football team app; during ski season, it is the snow ski report.
Three things people may not know about you.
- I love to ski and worked as a ski patroller while living in Breckenridge, Colo.
- I love to hike and camp in the backcountry with just my pack and my wife.
- My wife and I have more than 35 indoor plants and recently purchased our first bonsai trees.