|Katherine Meyer, D.D.S.|
In UNMC Today's Student Spotlight, we get to know some of these students, who will become tomorrow's health care professionals.
Today we meet:
- Name: Katherine Meyer, D.D.S.
- Hometown: Kearney, Neb.
- Program/Year: M.P.H, community-oriented primary care concentration, second year
List three songs on your playlist:
- "La Vie en Rose," by Edith Piaf
- "Partir de Cero," by Ana Tijoux
- "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)," by Daryl Hall and John Oates
What sparked your interest in public health?
I have been interested in public health for more than 10 years now, even before starting dental school. I have practiced dentistry in both private practice and public health clinics, and have practiced dentistry in Omaha for almost four years now. Through my experiences with dentistry, I was drawn to study public health and to pursue a master's degree. My interests include advocating for oral health, increasing access to care and school-based health.
Your favorite study snack is:
Your favorite app is:
Three things people may not know about you:
- I took four years off between undergraduate and dental school. During that time, I lived in Dublin, Ireland, for about four months, and in Madrid, Spain, for 14 months.
- I grew up taking dance classes and continued ballet, jazz, and tap classes while I was in dental school.
- I was born in Panama City, Panama.
Congratulations Dr. Meyer! It's wonderful that the work you do is being featured. Thank you for advocating for children's health. You're the best!