UNMC LiveGreen: Counting down to spring
We know that we're likely to get more snow between now and actual spring weather, but there are a few things we can do in the meantime.
- Get your lawn mower tuned up, blades sharpened. (Avoid the rush!)
- Check your garden tools to make sure they're clean and sharp, ready to use.
- Clean and disinfect your outdoor pots and planters.
- Get out the graph paper or try this free program to plan your garden.
- Figure out when to start seeds indoors and make or buy your own seed-starting medium.
- Make newspaper pots so you can plant transplants outdoors without disturbing tender roots.
- Attend a class at the Benson Branch of the Omaha Public Library:
- Tomorrow, March 5, from 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Companion Planting
- Saturday, March 8, from 2-3 p.m.: Seed saving 101
- Start a worm bin.
If gardening and yard work don't interest you, try these:
- Get your bike tuned up and tires inflated.
- Learn about bicycle commuting and map out a route to work.
- No bike? Check out Omaha's bicycle sharing program.
- Not into biking? Take the bus or check out MetrO! Rideshare.
Interested in improving bus transit? Attend a Metro Transit Community Forum.
When: Today, March 4, from 5:30-7 p.m.
Where: Heartland Workforce Solutions (5752 Ames Ave.)
When: Wednesday, March 5, from 6:30-8 p.m.
Where: South Omaha Library (2808 Q St.)
When: Thursday, March 6, from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Where: Peter Kiewit Conference Center (1313 Farnam, Room 227)
When: Saturday, March 8, from 9-11 a.m.
Where: Metro Transit (2222 Cuming St.)
Whatever says "spring" to you, whether it's putting a bowl of pansies out on the porch, dusting off your golf clubs or hanging out bird feeders, it's almost here!