UNMC is proud to welcome international colleagues to Omaha. This will be the fourth consecutive ISRF, following past successful forums in Beijing and Tokyo.
Today and Tuesday, graduate Ph.D. and M.D. students from all over the world will present their research to one another, representing the following prestigious schools:
- the Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo;
- the Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences;
- Moscow State University and the Russian Academy of Sciences in Russia;
- the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research in Chandigarh, India;
- the University of Melbourne, the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research in Melbourne, and the Australian Academy of Sciences in Australia; and
The forum aims to attract the world's brightest upcoming scientists, calling for collaboration beyond the lines of disciplines and nationalities.
Students competed for the honor of representing their respective universities at the Forum. Twenty UNMC students will be joined by 24 international colleagues during the conference. Faculty representatives from the Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the University of Tokyo and Moscow State University will accompany their students.
The forum allows the students to share their current research and develop relationships with international students with similar research interests. The expectation is that these relationships will develop into future research collaborations between these future research scientists.
The forum begins this morning with an opening ceremony in the Durham Research Center Auditorium that will feature comments from Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey.
The forum concludes Tuesday with closing ceremonies at the Durham Museum featuring comments from Secretary of State John Gale. Some of the international students will remain in Omaha for UNMC's Nanomedicine Symposium hosted by UNMC's Center for Drug Delivery and Nanomedicine later in the week.
The UNMC International Student Forum participants and their hometowns are listed below:
- Shantibusan Senapati, Jagatsinghpur, Orissa, India
- Subhankar Chakraborty, Visakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Jennifer Bailey, Omaha, Neb.
- John Eggers, Omaha, Neb.
- Laura Fisher, Clarkson, Neb.
- Qian Zhang, Shandong Province, China
- Li Yang, ChongQing City, China
- Brandi Babcock, Lindwood, Neb.
- Michael Mulhern, Bellevue, Neb.
- Sonal Tuljapurkar, Mumbai, India
- Kalyan Nannuru, Palmaner, India
- Satoko Kiyota, Osaka, Japan
- Thomas Wilson, Plattsmouth, Neb.
- Dan Flaherty, Holdrege, Neb.
- Daria Alakhova, Puschino, Russia
- James Randazzo, Kansas City, Mo.
- Xiang Yi, Xiangtan City, Hunan Province, China
- Agnes Constantino, Juan Diaz, Puerto Rico
- Nathan Erdmann, Omaha, Neb.
- Puttappa Dodmane, Sugar, Karnataka, India