NOTE: This profile is part of a series highlighting the 23 researchers who will be honored at an April 6 ceremony for UNMC's 2009 Scientist Laureate, Distinguished Scientist and New Investigator award recipients.
|Howard Fox, M.D., Ph.D.|
- Name: Howard Fox, M.D., Ph.D.
- Title: Professor of pharmacology and experimental neuroscience
- Joined UNMC: 2008
- Hometown: Chicago
Describe your research in laymen's terms.
We study diseases of the brain that result in neurodegeneration. Through understanding how neurons are damaged, we seek ways to protect them.
How does your research contribute to science and/or health care?
We find markers for disease development and uncover pathways that can be used for preventive and therapeutic development.
Beyond grant funding, how do you measure success?
Scientifically through the respect of colleagues and appointment to advisory and leadership positions. Personally having a wonderful family and good friends.
List three things few people know about you.
- I have led a ballet and an elementary school.
- I'm a great cook (it's like an experiment, but you get to eat it).
- I sold beer at Memorial Stadium for the Baltimore Orioles every summer in college (per hour probably my best paying job).