The full schedule of activities is as follows:
- Earth Week Kickoff & Tree Planting Ceremony -- 11:30 a.m. at 41st and Harney streets near parking lot No. 5. Compost starter kits and seed packets will be handed out while supplies last.
- Pledge to save energy and resources -- Take the UNMC LiveGreen Pledge and support UNMC's environmental efforts.
- TerraCycle Writing Instrument Recycling -- Each year, billions of writing instruments are needlessly discarded and end up in landfills. TerraCycle, The Nebraska Medical Center and UNMC are offering a special program for defunct writing instruments. Request one Terracycle bin for your department by emailing email@example.com. The next time your pen explodes or your Sharpie runs out of ink, place it in a TerraCycle bin. When the bin is full, email firstname.lastname@example.org again for a pre-paid shipping label. Terracycle will convert the empty writing instruments and packaging into other fun and innovative products.
- UNMC Culture Fest -- 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Truhlsen Campus Event Center - Sorrell Center. Earth Week volunteers are honored to be a part of UNMC Culture Fest and will hand out compostable plates for you to pile high with delicious ethnic foods. Take your picture with the Plastic Bag Man and receive a reusable shopping bag while supplies last.
- Household Electronics Recycling and Household Confidential Paper Shredding Event -- 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Recovery Room Bar & Grill, 4016 Leavenworth St. Bring your old household electronic equipment and any old confidential papers you wish to shred to campus and drop them off in the west parking lot at The Recovery Room Bar & Grill (formerly Pauli's.) The electronic items and paper will be recycled. There is a small fee associated with each electronic item (cash or check). See more about this event online.
- UNMC Link's Earth Day Campus Clean Up -- Noon to 1 p.m. Meet at the UNMC ice rink at noon to gather supplies and then split into groups and pick up trash around campus. Email email@example.com by April 16 to register. Lunches will be provided to the first 25 who register.