Tips for active shooter situationsIn the wake of recent mass shootings, employees are reminded that UNMC, The Nebraska Medical Center and UNMC Physicians have an active shooter policy.
The medical center developed an Active Shooter/"Code Silver" response plan because it has been shown that those most educated about these types of situations are able to remain calm and make quick and appropriate decisions in times of crisis.
If you hear a "Code Silver" (code for an active shooter) overhead announcement or on your computer screen with instructions indicating that you are in the same building identified for this event, possible actions should include:
- Move as many people as possible into rooms that lock from inside;
- Barricade doors, turn off lights and close curtains and blinds;
- Silence any noise making devices (TV, radio, pagers, cell phones, etc.);
- Clear the corridor, warn others and help others escape if possible;
- Make a plan with others in the room about what you will do if the shooter enters;
- Do whatever is necessary to survive the situation (e.g., throw things, etc.); and
- If possible and when it is safe to do so, call 911 to report the location of the assailant.