Distinguished Scientist Rongshi Li, Ph.D.
Rongshi Li, Ph.D.
Today we meet:
The Distinguished Scientist Award
The Distinguished Scientist Award -- which is sponsored by the chancellor -- recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists in the country during the past five years.
- Name: Rongshi Li, Ph.D.
- Title: Professor, UNMC College of Pharmacy
- Joined UNMC: Sept. 16, 2013
- Hometown: Jilin, China
Antibiotic and anti-cancer drug discovery
The goal of my research is to discover novel antibiotic and anticancer therapeutics. I have been using innovative approaches including but not limited to fragment-based, structure-guided and natural product-derived design and synthesis of small molecules to develop antibiotic and anticancer agents.
My research will make a difference because these novel antibiotic and anticancer agents target drug resistance. Our novel natural product derivatives exhibit unique activities against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, and anticancer properties with high potency and selectivity. They display a desirable pharmacokinetic profile, good bioavailability and no toxicities.
The best advice I've ever been given is "never give up."
Three things you may not know about me
- I have maintained the accuracy of my free throw at 90 percent and jump shot at 80 percent for many years.
- After moving to Omaha, I learned to cook steak and became the best chef you will find in a chemistry laboratory.
- My bosses and colleagues in the biotech/pharma industry called me "Mr. Careful."