Cheryl Bagley Thompson, PhD, RN
Assistant Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs/Student Affairs
University of Nebraska College of Nursing
985330 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5330
tel: (402) 559 3645
Dr. Thompson is an associate professor in the College of Nursing. Dr. Thompson received her bachelors degree in nursing from Creighton University, Omaha, NE, her masters from the University of Washington in Seattle, WA, and her doctoral degree from the University of Rochester in Rochester, NY. Dr. Thompson’s clinical background includes critical care, coronary care, and air medical transport. She has held nursing positions throughout the United States and in Japan. Dr. Thompson joined the faculty at the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Nursing in 2001.
- Dr. Thompson has taught courses in nursing informatics and research at the graduate level, including introduction to health informatics, systems analysis, database design, and decision support
- Dr. Thompson is currently working with the undergraduate faculty to incorporate informatics concepts across the new concept based curriculum
- Dr. Thompson's approach to teaching database design has been published in the Journal of Medical Systems: Thompson, C. B., & Sward, K. (2005) Modeling and Teaching Techniques for Conceptual and Logical Relational Database Design, 29, 513-525.
- Dr. Thompson’s scholarship focuses on the application of informatics techniques to academic areas of research, education, and clinical practice.
- Dr. Thompson is a member of an interdisciplinary team evaluating the use of Second Life in the teaching of community health concepts. She and a colleague Nancy Farris have created several virtual homes for students to explore as part of their community health learning experiences. Evaluation of these activities is ongoing.
- Dr. Thompson's has developed a minimum data set of time related terms for use in air transport (Air Transport Minimum Data Set). The data set has undergone initial evaluation.
- Dr. Thompson received funding from Sigma Theta Tau International to modify and maintain the Registry of Nursing research and conduct other scholarly pursuits related to the Virginia Henderson International Nursing Library.
- Dr. Thompson was the Information Systems Leader for the American Association of Medical Colleges Chronic Care Collaborative at UNMC.
- Sigma Theta Tau Virginia Henderson International Nursing Library
Association of Air Medical Services
- Is serving as the UNMC campus lead for the state wide, 7 campus implementation of the PeopleSoft Student Information System.
- Designed and implemented an information system for data management for the Family Health Care Center, the Senior Health Promotions Center and the Mobile Nursing Center
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary colleagues on the plans for educational technology in the new Omaha and Norfolk nursing facilities.
- Morehead Center for Nursing Practice Internal Advisory Committee
"As healthcare becomes more complex, nurses must rise to the challenge of effectively managing clinical information and monitoring client outcomes to insure quality care."