Carol H Pullen, RN, EdD
Department of Community Based Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
College of Nursing - Omaha Division
985330 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5330
tel: (402) 559-6548
Dr. Pullen is a Professor in the College of Nursing. She received her bachelor's degree in nursing from East Tennessee State University , her master's degree in nursing from University of Tennessee-Knoxville , and her doctoral degree in educational administration from East Tennessee State University . Dr. Pullen’s expertise is in women’s health with emphasis on healthy eating, activity and weight loss.
- Dr. Pullen teaches Grant Application and Management in the PhD in Nursing program and currently she chairs the committees for 3 students.
- Dr. Pullen has taught undergraduate psychiatric nursing, medical-surgical nursing, roles courses for LPN and ADN to BSN students and Community Based Care for Vulnerable Populations in the Family Nurse Practitioner Program.
Dr. Pullen's current research interests are:
- Interventions to promote healthy eating and physical activity
- for reduction of blood pressure.
- for weight loss.
- Rural midlife to older women
- Determinants of health-promoting behavior
- The Health Promotion Model (Pender)
Currently Funded Projects
- 2006-2010 Principal Investigator. Modifying lifestyle in prehypertensive older rural women. Supported by the National Institute of Nursing Research, NIH, under grant number 2 RO1 NR04861 ($1,992,071).
- 2005- Project Director. Interdisciplinary Biopreparedness Training Using Virtual Simulation Modules. Supported by the University of Nebraska Program of Excellence Fund. ($192,000 annually).
- Chair, University of Nebraska Distance Education Council (2000- 2007)
- Member, University of Nebraska Distance Education Coordinating Council (2000 -2006)
- Co-chair, Membership Committee, National Rural Health Association (2000-2001)
- President, Nebraska Rural Health Association (1998-1999)
- Treasurer, Nebraska Nurses’ Association (2000-2002)
- Member, Conference Planning Committee, Midwest Nursing Research Society (2006-2007)
- Member, UNMC Institutional Review Board (2007-present)
- Chair, Healthy Lifestyles Collaborative Research Group