Janet E. Cuddigan, RN, PhD, CWCN, FAAN
University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
College of Nursing - Omaha Division
985330 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68588-5330
tel: (402) 559-6612
Dr. Cuddigan received her bachelors degree in nursing from Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. She received her masters and doctoral degrees in nursing from the University of Nebraska Medical Center and completed a post doctoral fellowship through the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Iowa City, IA and the University of Iowa. Dr. Cuddigan's clinical background is in critical care nursing. Her primary research interests are in physiological measures of pressure ulcer prediction in critically ill patients. She has extensive experience and training in the development, dissemination, implementation and evaluation of evidence-based guidelines.
- Undergraduate classroom and clinical instruction in medical surgical nursing and critical care.
- Teaches health care outcomes and quality improvement coursework in the DNP program.
- Supervision of graduate student research projects in the area pressure ulcer ulcer prevention and treatment.
- Supervision of PhD and DNP student projects with a focus on quality improvement.
- National and international presentations on pressure ulcer prevention and treatment.
Currently Funded Projects
2014-2015. Pittman, J., Beeson, T., Dillon, J., Cuddigan, J., and Rawl, S.M. Unavoidable Pressure Ulcers in Critical Care. American Association of Critical Care Nurses. (Application co-author, grant consultant).
- Patterns of pressure loading and redistribution in pediatric intensive care patients.
- Systematic literature reviews and methodologies for developing evidence-based guidelines
- Development and testing of quality indicators and e-measures
- Refinement of pressure ulcer risk assessment in critically ill patients
- Member of the Skin and Wound Advisory Team (SWAT) at The Nebraska Medical Center
- National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (NPUAP) President’s Appreciation Award for leadership in developing the 2014 International Pressure Ulcer Guideline, 2015
- International Pressure Ulcer Guideline Development Group Member, Sponsored by the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel and Pan Pacific Alliance for Pressure Injury, 2012-present
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2011-present
- NPUAP Kosiak Award for Leadership in Pressure Ulcer Research, Practice, Education and Public Policy, 2011
- Consultant to National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI) on the pressure ulcer quality indicator and e-measure
- Member of the Big Data and Science for Transforming Health Care Task Force on the Pressure Ulcer Prevention E-measure
- UNMC Outstanding Teacher Award, 2008
- Co-captain of the "Pressure Ulcer Stream" for the World Union of Wound Healing Societies' Conference in Toronto, Canada, June 2008.
- Co-Chair, NPUAP-EPUAP International Guideline Development Panel on Pressure Ulcer Prevention and Treatment, 2009
- Baranoski Founder's Award for Excellence in Pressure Ulcer Care, 1999.