Susan A. Barnason, PhD, APRN-CNS, CEN, CCRN, FAHA
Professor and Doctor of Nursing Practice, Program Director
University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
College of Nursing - Lincoln Division
Room CCRT 117
Commerce Court, 1230 O Street, Ste 131
Omaha, NE 68588-0220
Dr. Barnason is professor at the College of Nursing and received her diploma in nursing from Lincoln General School of Nursing. She completed both her BSN and MSN at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Nursing. Dr. Barnason received a PhD at the University of Nebraska--Lincoln. She has clinical expertise in Emergency and Critical Care Nursing and experience as a Clinical Nurse Specialist. Dr. Barnason joined the faculty full-time in 1998. She currently teaches in the graduate Adult-Gerontology masters and doctorate of nursing practice programs.
- Dr. Barnason teaches in the clinical courses for the Adult-Gerontology graduate program.
- Dr. Barnason teaches the Implementing Evidence Based Practice course in the doctorate of nursing practice program.
- Dr. Barnason is a principal investigator for a pilot study in P20 center: Interdisciplinary Healthy Heart Center P20 Grant (P20NR011404 – 01 NINR/NIH). Her pilot study is entitled: Maximizing Outcomes Needed After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) Using Weight Management (MOMENTUM). Website link.
- Dr. Barnason is a co-investigator for the Advanced Rural Hospital Care (ARHC) Program funded by AHRQ from 2011-2014: Nursing Education, Practice, Quality and Retention Program.
- Dr. Barnason's area of research interest relates to early recovery and transition of care for cardiac patient after acute events. In addition, Dr. Barnason has conducted research using telehealth devices as the platform to deliver nursing interventions.
- Areas of cardiovascular research emphasis include:
- Symptom Management following cardiac revascularization
- Secondary Risk Factor prevention after cardiac revascularization
- Transition of care after hospitalization for acute cardiac events
- Dr. Barnason was a co-investigator on NINR (r01 NR07759) funded grant entitled: Symptom Management Intervention in Elderly CABG Patients. Refer to the following website for more information on the currently funded grant: http://www.unmc.edu/nursing/grant_smi/smi_home.htm
- 2012 Inducted as a Fellow into American Academy of Nursing
- 2007 Inducted as a Fellow into the American Heart Association.
- 2006 The Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award. UNMC College of Nursing . Teaching Award.
- 2005 4th Annual UNMC College of Nursing: Adult Health & Illness Department . Teaching Award
- 2005 Emergency Nurses Association. Distinguished Service Award.
- 2004 Emergency Nurses Association. Distinguished Service Award.
- 2001 Emergency Nurses Association.Distinguished Service Award.
- 2000 Emergency Nurses Association.Distinguished Service Award.
- 1996 Nebraska Emergency Nurses Association.Award of Excellence..
- 1996 Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association.Alumni of the Year Award.
- 1996 Emergency Nurses Association.Lifetime Achievement Award & ENA Hall of Fame Honors Panel.
2011-2014 Advanced Rural Hospital Care (ARHC) Program
AHRQ: Nurse Education, Practice, Quality and Retention Programs
PI: Kathy Morris; Co-investigator: Susan Barnason