Susan M. Beidler PhD, MBE, APRN, BC
Associate Professor &
Director Morehead Center for Nursing Practice
University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
College of Nursing - Omaha Division
985330 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5330
United States of America
Dr. Beidler is an Associate Professor in the Department of Community-based Health and Director of the Morehead Center for Nursing Practice in the College of Nursing. She received her bachelors degree in nursing from Albright College, Reading, PA and masters in nursing, bioethics, and PhD in nursing from the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA. Dr. Beidler is an ANCC board certified Family Nurse Practitioner and has practiced in a variety of community –based settings, including family practice, rehabilitation, and diabetes education, and has experience directing and working in nurse-managed primary care health centers located in underserved communities in Pennsylvania and Florida. Dr. Beidler joined the faculty at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in 2007.
- Dr. Beidler has taught courses in nursing theory, research, legal and ethical issues, health policy, end of life, women’s health, and primary care.
- Dr. Beidler completed a post-masters certificate program for teaching NP and midwifery students.
- She has taught and mentored nursing students in diploma, baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral programs.
- She helped develop a training manual for interdisciplinary education of health professions students.
- Dr. Beidler’s research interest is in outcomes of advanced practice models of care for vulnerable populations.
- Her dissertation research led to the development of the Beidler Levels of Ethical Issues Framework which applies to nurse practitioners caring for vulnerable populations in nurse-managed health centers.
- Her current work is with prevention and management of chronic diseases among high risk multicultural populations.
- Dr. Beidler provides primary health care for patients of all ages with ethnically diverse backgrounds.
- She has held certifications as a diabetes educator and rehabilitation nurse and incorporates principles of chronic disease management and restoration in her clinical practice.
Integration of Teaching/Research/Practice
- Dr. Beidler is involved with teaching and mentoring interdisciplinary students as she practices and conducts practice-based research in nurse managed health centers.
- Dr. Beidler has been recognized by her peers in receiving nursing practice awards from the Pennsylvania Nurses Association and Nurse Practitioner Council in Palm Beach County, FL.
- Dr. Beidler has been an active member of the American Nurses Association American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, Sigma Theta Tau International, American Diabetes Association, American Association of Diabetes Educators, and American Society for Bioethics and Humanities and has held a number of leadership positions at the local and national level.
If everyone had access to nurses in community-based nursing centers, then many of the problems with our national health care delivery system would be solved. ‘Every patient deserves a nurse’ – not just when they’re sick and in the hospital, but when they’re in their homes, schools, workplaces, and communities…to keep them healthy.