What are 10 foolish things I should avoid?
1. Accessing confidential information without a "need to know;"
2. Leaving confidential information unattended in a non-secure area;
3. Careless discussion of confidential information;
4. Improper destruction of confidential information;
5. Giving confidential information without proper authorization;
6. Using a computer password that is easy to guess;
7. Walking away from any computer without logging off;
8. Faxing PHI (protected health information) without first verifying the number;
9. Failing to complete HIPAA training;
10. April Fools! We could only think of nine!!
If you're a manager, please ensure all of your employees are informed of the contents of these messages and how it applies to your work area. Some ways of sharing the information include discussions during staff meetings, printing and posting this message or asking your employees if they have any further questions.