A week focused on healthy women, healthy livesStarting Saturday, the UNMC College of Public Health's Center for Reducing Health Disparities will sponsor a weeklong series of activities called, "Embracing Mind and BODY: A Celebration of Womanhood."
|Women's health is the focus of weeklong series of events sponsored by the College of Public Health's Center for Reducing Health Disparities.|
- Major issues in and threats to women and girls' health;
- Health disparities between women and men;
- Major women's health issues in Douglas County, which has more young females than the national average and many who live in poverty.
"We want to increase awareness about the health outcomes of women and encourage both young and older women to take better care of their bodies -- including physical, mental and spiritual health," said Sondra Manske, principal investigator and health disparities research specialist in UNMC's College of Public Health Center for Reducing Health Disparities.
Here is a schedule of the week's events, which are open to the public:
- Saturday, May 12 -- 10 a.m. to noon in the Thompson Alumni Center at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. Renaisa Anthony, M.D., M.P.H., interim director of the Center for Reducing Health Disparities, is the keynote speaker at the event, which will feature interactive displays and light refreshments.
- Wednesday, May 16 -- 11 a.m. to noon in the UNMC College of Public Health, Room 1001. Jack Turman Jr. Ph.D., director of the physical therapy program at UNMC's School of Allied Health Professions will present "The Connections Project" as part of a panel discussion on the importance of collaboration between community members and academic institutions.
- Saturday, May 19 -- 10 a.m. to noon in the Thompson Alumni Center. Mariel Harding from Planned Parenthood of the Heartland will present "Bringing Sexuality to the Forefront - the Missing Link to Being a Healthy Woman." Light refreshments will be provided.
E-mail Sondra.Manske@unmc.edu or call 402-559-9664 for more information.