Meet UNMC New Investigator Awardee Mark A. Carlson, M.D.
Mark Carlson, M.D.
- Name: Mark A. Carlson, M.D.
- Title: Professor, surgery-general surgery, College of Medicine
- Joined UNMC: 1999
- Hometown: Lyndhurst, Ohio
Describe your research briefly in layman's terms.
Our laboratory studies hemostasis, wound healing and regenerative medicine. Hemostasis is the action of stopping blood loss or bleeding.
How does your research contribute to science and/or health care?
This work will benefit patients who are injured and are bleeding, and/or who have soft tissue injuries that their bodies need to repair. The Department of Defense is particularly interested in this work in relation to the injured/bleeding warfighter.
What is the best piece of advice anyone ever gave you, professional or personal?
Do not focus all of your energy on one objective, but keep multiple objectives in play.
List three things few people know about you.
- My paternal grandfather was a Swedish immigrant, and my paternal grandmother was a Scottish immigrant.
- My major study subject in college was chemistry; my minor subjects were English and mathematics.
- I was an avid Tae Kwon Do participant in my teens and twenties.