Wellness Wednesday: Children's healthy habits start with parentsThe earlier children learn healthy behaviors, the better. Even with infants and preschoolers, exposing children to healthy foods helps them develop a liking for them.
NIH's "News in Health" offers these family-friendly helpful hints for parents:
- Be a role model. Eat healthy family meals together. Walk or ride bikes instead of watching TV or surfing the Internet.
- Make healthy choices easy. Put nutritious food where it's easy to see. Keep balls and other sports gear handy.
- Focus on fun. Play in the park, walk through the zoo. Cook a healthy meal together.
- Limit screen time on TVs and computers. Avoid eating in front of the TV.
- Check with caregivers and schools. Make sure they offer healthy food, active playtime, and limited TV and video games.
- Change a little at a time. If you drink whole milk, switch to 2 percent and later low-fat.