UNMC LiveGreen: Classes, events bring touch of spring
Common Soil Seed Library, housed at the Benson Branch of the Omaha Public Library, 6015 Binney St., is holding a series of gardening classes:
- Wednesday, Feb. 5, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.: Planning your garden
- Wednesday, Feb. 19, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.: Starting your seeds indoors
- Monday, March 3, from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.: West Omaha Garden Club meets at the Millard Branch (Registration preferred)
- Wednesday, March 5, from 6:30- 7:30 p.m.: Companion planting
- Saturday, March 8, from 2- 3 p.m.: Seed saving 101
A seed library is just what it sounds like, a place where people can "borrow" open-pollinated, non-hybrid seeds to plant in their gardens and return saved seeds to share with others. Check it out.
If you're not a class-taker and just want to dive in, come to the Omaha Seed Share on Saturday, Feb. 8 from noon to 2 p.m. at the Douglas County Extension Office (8015 W. Center Rd.). Hosted by the Omaha Community Garden Network and the Douglas County Seed Share, the event is free and open to the public. Share and swap seeds, get food growing advice and local information, and meet community gardeners and local farmers. Bring envelopes with you. For more information, contact Patty Falcone at 402-444-7146.