Joslyn announces photography exhibits
|Howard Buffett, Tip of the Tongue, South Africa, June 2003, crystal archival print, 20 x 30, Gift of The Howard G. Buffett Foundation, 2006|
Through the UNMC/Joslyn Passport Partner's program, employees and their families receive free admission -- with their employee or student ID badge -- to Joslyn Art Museum during regular museum hours, which are Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m.
Exhibitions Opening at Joslyn:
This spring and summer Joslyn is focused on photography as it hosts three photography exhibitions:
- "Close Proximity: Photographs from the Wild" -- by Howard Buffett and Thomas Mangelsen (April 29 through June 24),
- "Visons of Victory" -- presented by Mutual of Omaha (June 17 - Aug. 13), and
- "Edward Weston: A Photographer's Love of Life" (June 24 - Aug. 13).
| Thomas D. Mangelsen, Winds of Change, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, crystal archival print, Courtesy of Thomas D. Mangelsen and Images of Nature Gallery |
Exhibitions to close:
It's not too late to see the following special exhibitions:
- Jun Kaneko: Madama Butterfly -- See a selection of Jun Kaneko's drawings of costumes and stage sets for Opera Omaha's production of one of the most popular operas of all time, Madama Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini. Jun Kaneko is an Omaha resident with international acclaim. This exhibit will close May 7.
- French Donjons: Castle of Coucy -- View, up close, a historically accurate representation of the donjon, the residential tower, that graced the castle of Coucy, situated some 75 miles northeast of Paris. Coucy was famous for having the largest donjon ever built in Europe. This exhibit will close May 14.
Passport Partners activities on the medical center campus:
- Art Express -- The next session of Art Express, a drop-in lunch and lecture series that provides a closer look at Joslyn's permanent collection and traveling exhibitions, will take place Friday, May 5. Art Express meets the first Friday of the month from noon until 12:45 p.m. Note: the location for May's lecture has been changed to Rooms 8807 and 8808 in The Lied Transplant Center. Bring your lunch and learn more the photography represented in Joslyn's permanent collection and also in upcoming special exhibitions from Joslyn Docent Jean Stillmock.
- Spain for art lovers trip - Sept. 5 through Sept. 15, 2006 -- Join Joslyn Director J. Brooks Joyner on a 10-day journey to Spain, exploring the art, architecture and ambiance of some of this European cultural center's most beautiful cities including Madrid, Granada and Barcelona. For more information about this one-of-a-kind travel opportunity, call Candace Tielebein at (402) 397-5130 or e-mail email@example.com.