New Investigator: Mohd Wasim Nasser, Ph.D.
Mohd Wasim Nasser, Ph.D.
- Name: Mohd Wasim Nasser, Ph.D.
- Title: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine
- Joined UNMC: December 2015
- Hometown: Pilibhit, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Brain metastasis, breast cancer and lung cancer
The New Investigator Award
New Investigator Awards go to outstanding UNMC scientists who in the past two years have secured their first funding from the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense or other national sources. New Investigators also had to demonstrate scholarly activity such as publishing their research and/or presenting their findings at national conventions.
The overall goal of my research program is: To develop novel therapeutic and preventive strategies for brain metastasis of lung and breast cancer patients.
My research will make a difference because: It is focused on the metastasis of breast and lung cancers. These cancers are highly aggressive and show higher rate of mortality due to the development of metastasis, especially brain metastasis. Brain metastasis is the leading cause of cancer-related death in breast cancer and small cell lung cancer. Recent research efforts suggest that cancer cells disseminated to the brain show entirely diverse gene signatures than their primary tumors. My research will elucidate the crosstalk between cancer cells and brain microenvironment and provide novel insights for the the development of preventive and therapeutic strategies for high-risk breast and lung cancer patients.
The best advice I've ever been given is:
"There is no substitute for hard work; if you work hard with integrity and honesty, you will surely be successful." This is what my father, who was a school teacher, always reminded me during my childhood. I have instilled his advice both in my personal and professional life and greatly benefited from it.
Three things you may not know about me are:
- Apart from enjoying science, I am intrigued by world history and equally amazed by the beauty of urdu poetry.
- I love watching Bollywood (Indian cinema), Hollywood movies and listening to retro Hindi songs.
- My favorite place for family vacation is the Smoky Mountains, Tennessee.