UNMC to host free, statewide disability leadership seminar in September
The statewide virtual seminar is designed for persons with disabilities, family members, concerned citizens and professionals who are interested in promoting the best outcomes for individuals with disabilities and their families in Nebraska.
The four-day event will focus on leadership and advocacy training regarding systems of services and supports to individuals with disabilities and their families, including philosophy, current systems, opportunities for leadership, systems change strategies and planning.
Participants will receive support at the seminar and beyond on developing advocacy plans, building and supporting state and local coalitions with the goal of improving services and systems for individuals with disabilities.
Times for the event (all Central) are:
- Sept. 18 - 12:30-5 p.m.
- Sept. 19 - 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Sept. 25 - 12:30-5 p.m.
- Sept. 26 - 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- A fifth, review session also will be scheduled following the completion of the course.
Speakers at the virtual event will include:
- Eric Evans, PhD, executive director, Disability Rights Nebraska
- Brad Meurrens, public policy director, Disability Rights Nebraska
- Edison McDonald, executive director, Arc of Nebraska
- Janet Miller, adult services associate, UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute
- Jenn Miller, outreach coordinator, PTI-Nebraska
- Jennifer Hansen, parent resource coordinator, UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute
- Kathy Hoell, director, Statewide Independent Living Council
- Mark Smith, assistant professor, UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute
- Mary Angus, support coordinator, UNMC Munroe-Meyer Institute
Individuals who need assistance in registering or have questions can contact Smith at 402-559-5744 or email@example.com.
We are Nebraska Medicine and UNMC. Our mission is to lead the world in transforming lives to create a healthy future for all individuals and communities through premier educational programs, innovative research and extraordinary patient care.
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Flickr