Audrey Nelson, PhD, RN
College of Nursing and Alumni History Museum Coordinator
University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
College of Nursing - Omaha Division
985330 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5330
tel: (402) 559-6568
Dr. Nelson is a nurse with more than 40 years with teaching experience in pediatric nursing, evidenced-based research and practice, and is an academic coach for undergraduate and graduate students. She received her Bachelor of Science degree from UNMC College of Nursing, Masters of Science degree from University of Wisconsin-Madison, and PhD from University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Research focus is for children with chronic illness and their families, primarily working with parents. Completed a post-doc fellowship sponsored by Oncology Nursing Society and Ortho Biotech to develop a psychosocial intervention for parents.
- Evidenced-based Nursing Practice and Research
- Undergraduate Pediatrics
- Graduate Chronic Illness of Children and their Families
- Success Program for CON Students, an academic coach
- Parents of children with hematology and oncology.
- Children with type 1 diabetes and insulin pump therapy.
- Parents of children with type 1 diabetes who are using insulin pump therapy.
- Students' preferred learning style and academic success.
- Critical thinking application.
- Chairman of the College of Nursing 100th Anniversary Celebration committee and was a writer for the 100th Anniversary book entitled “A Century of Academic Nursing Excellence: Transforming the Future.
- Inducted into the UNMC Interprofessional Academy of Educators in 2016, member of two interest groups
- UNMC 40 Year Faculty Service Award (2016)
- Recognized for Outstanding Professional Excellence and Dedication by International Women’s Leadership Association (2016).
- Received the March of Dimes Nurse of the Year award for recognition of developing an academic assistance program for students (2015).
- Selected for the UNMC Interprofessional Leadership for Excellence and Academic Development (iLead) 2014-2015.
- Participates as a member or chair of different CON/UNMC committees
- UNMC Faculty Senate President (2012-2013), CON representative for 12 years, and currently serves as parliamentarian.
- Editorial Board member of Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing and reviewer of manuscripts
- Served as a grant reviewer for Oncology Nursing Society (2011, 2012, 2014)
- Selected for the Technology in Education Scholarship Program, UNMC (2010-2012)
- Ada Lindsey Professional Service Award, UNMC College of Nursing (2008)
- UNMC Chancellor's Council Silver 'U' Award in September (2006)
- Nominated by students for the Alvin Earle Outstanding Health Science Educator Award (2005)
- Appointed the CON History Museum coordinator (2007-present)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Nebraska College of Nursing Alumni Association (2003) and serves on the CONAA Engagement Council.