Kelly Gonzales, PhD, APRN-NP, FNP-C
University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
College of Nursing - Omaha Division
985330 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5330
Dr. Gonzales is an Assistant Professor at the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Nursing. She received her Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Bachelor of Arts with Majors in Biology and Spanish from Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She received her Master of Science in Nursing and PhD in Nursing from the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa with a focal area of Parent, Child and Family Nursing. Her dissertation research was in the area of Safe Medication Administration. After completing her doctoral studies, she continued her education by completing a Post-Masters Family Nurse Practitioner certificate from UNMC in order to gain additional clinical expertise and role expansion as an advanced practice nurse. After completing her FNP, she was eager to gain experience as a Primary Care Provider and has since had a faculty position that has included 30-50% practice. Practice continues to inform her current research interests, which include research in the area of primary care, health promotion, disease prevention, chronic disease management, and health behaviors. She presently teaches and course leads in the Family Nurse Practitioner program. She has been a full-time faculty of nursing since 2006.
- Since 2015, has taught primarily in the Family Nurse Practitioner program including Nrsg 607 Advanced Health Assessment Across the Life Span, Nrsg 637 Health Promotion and Advanced Clinical Skills in Primary Care for Individuals and Families, Nrsg 638 Primary Health Care of Young Families, Nrsg 639 Primary Health Care of Older Families, Nrsg 640 Advanced Primary Health Care of Families. This includes academic and clinical advising for FNP students who are seeking a MSN or DNP, as well as coordinating FNP clinical placement for Omaha students.
- Has nine years experience teaching undergraduate nursing including health promotion, lifespan development, pediatric medical-surgical content, population health, and evidence-based practice. In addition, has experience as a clinical instructor on pediatric medical-surgical units.
Dr. Gonzale's scholarship accomplishments are in the area of medication safety, nursing education, faculty practice, tobacco cessation and implmenetation science. Her clinical, academic, and research training have provided an excellent foundation for a future career as an expert in implementation science. She is specifically interested in bridging the research-practice gap.
- September 2018 to March 2019. Use of Nebraska Tobacco Quitline by primary care: A pilot study. Awarded $7,000 from UNMC CENTRIC Just In Time Accelerator. Role: Principal Investigator.
- November 2018-Present. Faculty practice, various studies. No funding. Role: Principal Investigator.
- 2015-2016. Establishing a Clinic: Lessons Learned from Lean Principles. No funding. Role: Principal Investigator.
- 2009-2011. Dissertation research on Safe Medication Administration. Partially funded by Creighton University School of Nursing Deans award $1000. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Academic appointment has included 40-50% practice since September 2014
- Nebraska Medicaine UNO Health Center. July 2018 - Present.
- Children's Hospital and Medical Center of Omaha Employee Health / Care4U. October 2017 - Present.
- Nebraska Medicine Plattsmouth Internal Medicine. Temporary coverage March 2017 to June 2017.
- Nebraska Medicine Immediate Care Clinics. August 2015 - October 2017.
- Miracle Hills Primary Care. September 2016 - September 2017.
- All Care Health Center. September 2014 - March 2017.
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty (March 2016-Present)
- Manuscript reviewer for Journal of Clinical Nursing (June 2011-Present) and Nursing Forum (August 2017-Present)
- UNMC CON Dean's Teaching Award (May 2019)
- Nebraska Action Coalition 40 Under 40 (September 2016)
- Daily Non-Pareil featured Faces of Health (May 2016)
- UNMC Silver “U” Award (June 2014)